It is always extremely hard to lose a pet, and it can be difficult to comfort someone going through this. Today, our Poway vets offer advice on what you can say when someone you know loses a pet and a few other ways you can show support.
When Someone You Know Loses a Pet
It may not always be easy to offer support to those you care about in situations of pet loss, especially if you don't have pets yourself. While you may not understand the feelings that accompany these moments, you can still offer compassion and support to your friend or loved one after they have lost a pet.
It is important to keep in mind that everyone experiences loss differently and even if you have experience with pet loss, you may have grieved differently than others would. While you may feel tempted to compare the loss of your pet to the pet loss of someone else, you should resist. This may leave your friend feeling as though you don't view their emotions as their own and that you are minimizing their experience.
You should also allow your loved one to lead the conversation without changing the subject and never make jokes at these times.
Sharing Your Condolences
One thing that is always appreciated during these times is condolence cards. These let the person you care about know that you are thinking of them and that you are there for support. It's not necessary to write a long letter or story, just a quick note to express your thoughts. Here are some ideas for what to write on a card:
- Thinking about you and your pet [Pet's name]. If there is anything you need just let me know.
- Life with our companions is never long enough! You are in our thoughts and prayers.
- Wishing you comfort and peace during this difficult time.
- I am so sorry for your loss. [Pet’s name] will be greatly missed.
- Losing a loyal and faithful friend isn't easy. Please know that I'm thinking of you, and if you need to talk or share memories of him/her, please call me. I'm so sorry for your loss.
- [Pet’s name] was such a great pet. You were lucky to have each other.
- Losing such an important part of the family is never easy. I’m thinking about you.
- I know you miss [pet’s name] terribly. I’m thinking about you and sending thoughts and prayers.
- Smile at the memory of your beautiful pet, for they lit up this world with their joyous spirit.
- [Pet's name] could not have had a better life or a more loving owner than you. They were incredibly blessed.
Other Ways to Support Someone Who Loses a Pet
When someone you care about loses a pet you may want to do more than just send a card. Here are some other things that you can do during this time:
- Send a memorial gift such as personalized indoor or outdoor memorial decor.
- If you have photos of your friend's pet you can consider sending them along with the card.
- Send flowers or a houseplant with the card.
- Donate in the pet’s name to an animal organization or shelter.
No matter what you choose to do to show support it is important to watch how the person is coping with the loss of their pet. If you are concerned about their mental health during this time then it may be a good idea to help them look into resources for managing grief.