• Home
  • Services
  • Reviews
  • Payment Options
  • Emergency Info
  • Pet Tales
  • Emergency Info

    Emergency Info

    Rattlesnake Bites

    Please open link below:

    Rattlesnake Brochure - Animal Emergency Clinic.pdf


    Alcohol is toxic to both dogs and cats. Alcohol is not only ingested through beverages like beer or wine, but also is contained in products such as mouthwash, perfume, household cleaners, cough syrups, or even fermented foods.

    Higher levels of alcohol can depress their nervous system, slowing their breathing and heart rate, and lowering their body temperature. The blood chemistry is also changed, resulting in metabolic acidosis, where the blood becomes too acidic. At this stage, without treatment, death soon follows usually due to cardiac arrest.

    Even if a cat or dog doesn't die of the acute results of alcohol poisoning, it can be damaging to their liver and kidneys. Symptoms include problems standing or walking, fatigue, slow respiratory rate, excessive urination, vomiting, or a lack of responsiveness.


    A serious viral disease that typically affects young or unvaccinated dogs. It's highly contagious and is spread through saliva, vomit, or feces. This virus causes extreme damage to the intestinal tract, causing sloughing of the cells that line the tract. This leaves the patient open to secondary bacterial infection.

    Symptoms will usually occur within 3-10 days of exposure. This disease is diagnosed by physical examination, signalment (age, vaccination status, breed, etc.), and a fecal parvo test. Symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea (usually bloody and very foul-smelling), lethargy, loss of appetite, fever.

    dog with e collar


    Avocado leaves, fruit, seeds, and bark contain a toxic principle known as persin. The primary concern in dogs is gastrointestinal irritation, including vomiting and diarrhea.

    Typically, these effects are seen in dogs who have scavenged on significant quantities of fruit or branches. The pits can be choking hazards and contain a high amount of persin. Symptoms include vomiting and diarrhea.

    Allergic Reactions

    Bee or other insect stings, vaccines, or medications can cause mild to severe allergic reactions in dogs and cats. The allergic reaction can be anaphylactic, which is extremely serious and, if not treated quickly, can cause rapid and devastating consequences, up to and including death.

    Anaphylactic reactions occur almost immediately -- usually within moments after a dog or cat touches, inhales, ingests, or otherwise is exposed to the inciting allergen. The first signs of anaphylactic shock usually include very rapid onset of one or more of the following: diarrhea, defecation, urination, vomiting, itchiness, development of hives.

    These symptoms quickly progress to one or more of the following symptoms: weakness; lethargy; drooling; shallow, rapid and difficulty breathing; pale gums; elevated heart rate; weak pulses; cold limbs; changes in mental clarity.

    If left untreated, the end result of anaphylactic shock almost always is seizures, collapse, coma, and death. Animals having hypersensitivity reactions to allergens such as bee stings, vaccines, or other pharmaceutical injections may develop mild to moderate swelling or bruising around the entry site.

    If any of these signs appear suddenly in your animal, take him or her to a veterinarian right away. Anaphylactic shock is almost always fatal if not treated immediately.

    cat's ears checked by a vet

    Bite Wounds

    Dog bites can result in significant trauma, like crushing, tearing, puncturing, and lacerations of the skin and underlying tissues. Cat bites are typically punctured wounds with possible tearing or laceration, due to the small, sharp teeth of cats as compared to dogs.

    Since the mouth is an environment filled with bacteria, all bite wounds are considered contaminated and the possibility of infection is high.

    Bite wounds, which may only appear as a small puncture wound in the skin, can actually be quite extensive. Once the tooth penetrates the skin, severe damage can be done to the underlying tissues without major skin damage. All bite wounds should receive veterinary attention.

    Some wounds appear deceptively minor but may have the potential to be life-threatening, depending on the area of the body bitten. Sedation or anesthesia may be required to examine the extent of the injured pet. Watch for symptoms such as bleeding, swelling, drainage, breathing difficulty, limping, weakness, and collapse.

    Marijuana Toxicity

    Over 95% of the patients seen for this are dogs. Almost all exposed animals will exhibit neurological signs (depression or alternating depression and excitement, falling over, uncoordinated movement, hallucinations with barking or agitation, seizures or even coma).

    Approximately 1/3 of exposed animals will exhibit gastrointestinal signs (vomiting, diarrhea, dry mouth, or drooling). They may also develop a high or low body temperature, breathe fast, have a high or low heart rate, have dilated pupils, and may leak urine.

    If you know your pet has been exposed to a drug such as marijuana, it's important that you tell your veterinarian as soon as you arrive so that they can treat him or her appropriately. Your vet is not under any obligation to report these events to the police and needs to know what they are dealing with early to avoid unnecessary tests and help the dog recover as quickly as possible.

    If the pet recently ingested the marijuana (within 30 minutes of eating it), your veterinarian can induce vomiting to minimize the amount of toxin available to be absorbed. Most animals recover fully following treatment and death occurs rarely.


    Be very careful when looking into the mouth of a choking animal, as they may bite, even if they don't normally bite. When an animal is choking on a foreign object, it needs help at once. The harder it tries to breathe, the more panicky it becomes.

    The signs that an animal is choking include pawing at the mouth, a pale or blue tongue, obvious distress, or unconsciousness, all of which indicate an animal that needs to be seen by a veterinarian immediately.


    The act of coughing serves as a protective mechanism for preventing the accumulation of secretions and foreign materials inside of the respiratory tract, but coughing can also serve as an early warning sign for respiratory diseases.

    Coughing is generally a symptom of an underlying problem, such as a respiratory or cardiovascular system disease. The pattern and frequency of the cough are very important in determining the cause of the cough.

    Drop by our hospital located at 12775 Poway Rd, Poway, CA, 92064 to discuss your pet's condition and give it the best care.